Because children are so precious and fragile, these inspiring verses remind us that we should protect and defend them in every way we can.
Inspiring verses about children in the Bible
These Bible verses about children are a great reminder that kids are such a blessing! Children invite us to laugh freely, embrace life, and to open our arms to the love of our Heavenly Father.
Throughout the Bible we are reminded of God’s love for the little ones in our lives. Because a child’s life is so precious and fragile, these inspiring verses about children remind us that we should protect it and defend it every way we can.
What’s more, we’re truly blessed to be called children of God – and welcomed so gladly by our loving Father.
All of these Bible verses about children are taken from the NIV version of the Bible
* Psalm 127:3-5 Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.
* Matthew 18:2-5 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.
*Matthew 18:10 See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.
* Proverbs 22:6 Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.
* Mark 9:36-37 He took a little child whom he placed among them. Taking the child in his arms, he said to them, “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.
*Genesis 33:5 Then Esau looked up and saw the women and children. “Who are these with you?” he asked. Jacob answered, “They are the children God has graciously given your servant.
* Matthew 21:15-16 But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things he did and the children shouting in the temple courts, “Hosanna to the Son of David,” they were indignant. “Do you hear what these children are saying?” they asked him. “Yes,” replied Jesus, “Have you never read, “‘From the lips of children and infants you, Lord, have called forth your praise’?
* Mark 10:16 And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.
We asked this group of kids why they think caring for children through child sponsorship is important. These quotes will make you smile:
Bible quotes about children growing up
The Bible gives lots of helpful advice to children. It shares how kids should take care to listen to their parents and show them respect. Take a moment to look up these Bible verses with your children.
- Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
- Ephesians 6:1-4 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. ‘Honour your father and mother’—which is the first commandment with a promise— ‘so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.’
- Proverbs 1:8-9 Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. They are a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.
- Proverbs 13:1 A wise son heeds his father’s instruction, but a mocker does not respond to rebukes.
- Proverbs 29:17 Discipline your children, and they will give you peace; they will bring you the delights you desire.
Famous children in the Bible
Issac was the miracle child born to Abraham and Sarah in their old age. Isaac’s birth fulfilled God’s promise that Abraham would become the father of a great people.
When Issac was a young boy, God asked Abraham to take his beloved son to a mountain to sacrifice him. At the moment Abraham tied Issac up, the angel of the Lord stopped him saying, “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.” (Genesis 22:12)
Some time before King Saul died, God had sent Samuel to the family of Jesse to choose a new king. To Samuel’s surprise it was David, Jesse’s youngest son, who was to be God’s chosen king. His seven elder brothers were amazed, but God saw that David loved him.
David the shepherd boy went on to become a great fighter, defeating the Philistine giant Goliath.
Samuel was dedicated to God by his mum, Hannah after she had prayed persistently for a child. When Samuel was around four-years-old, he was taken to the tabernacle to serve under Eli the priest. Even as a child, Samuel was given his own tunic, a garment normally reserved for a priest. Samuel was a prophet and heard from God:
“The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, ‘Samuel! Samuel!’ Then Samuel said, ‘Speak, for your servant is listening.’” (1 Samuel 3:10)
Jesus as a boy,
Luke 2 gives us an insight into Jesus as a child. The boy Jesus stayed behind at the Passover Festival. His parents found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his questions.
Bible verses about being children of God
Praise God that because of Jesus, we can know Him as our Heavenly Father. We can now be called “children of God”. Children can teach us a lot about how we should approach God as our Heavenly Father.
- Jeremiah 31:17 There is hope for your future, declares the Lord, and your children shall come back to their own country.
- Romans 8:14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.
- Romans 8:16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
- Romans 8:17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
- Galatians 3:26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith.
- Ephesians 5:8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.
- Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.